Your Host Raymond McGovern’s Top Cape Town Activities
Cape Town, South Africa, has established itself as one of the top destinations in the world—and for good reason. Located in the Western Cape Province of South Africa, Cape Town and its surrounding areas offer a wide variety of activities that cater to the different types and tastes of travelers.
Sea Point, a seaside suburb of Cape Town, sits along the Atlantic Ocean and provides guests at Olaf’s the perfect opportunity to stroll along the beachfront Promenade and take in the ocean air. Cafés and shops are within walking distance, and our bed and breakfast is a 30 – 45-minute drive from almost all activities, scenic routes and mountain trails, golf courses, and the beautiful winelands of Stellenbosch.
Cape Town is a great place to try out new things, such as kite boarding and shark diving, or to look at the world from a different perspective (touring Robben Island.)
Your host Raymond McGovern has lived in Cape Town since he was young, and he and his staff are happy to help guests book activities, tours, and day trips, and recommend the best shopping and dining Cape Town has to offer.
Must-do activities in and around Cape Town:
- Wine tasting at the numerous wine farms—a short drive from Cape Town.
- Enjoy sundowners in Camps Bay.
- Hike Table Mountain.
- Visit the Kirstenbosch Botanical gardens.
- Experience the thrill of shark diving.
- Explore the beauty of Cape Point.
- Visit the amazing Two Oceans Aquarium at the V&A Waterfront.
Cape Town and Area Information
Most European Nationals do not need a visa. Your passport must be valid for 6 months after entry. Please check with the RSA Consulate in your country.
Not necessary. A Malaria-Prophylaxe is recommended for certain tourist areas, but not for Cape Town or the Garden Route !
Summer season and main tourist season is from October to April. The Green Season is from May to September – you can enjoy a lot of specials during this time.
Foreign currency can be exchanged easily at the airport upon arrival or at any bank. Traveller Checks and international Credit Cards (mainly Visa and Mastercard) are usually accepted.
Tipping is voluntary but expected for all services.
Waiters and Hair dressers receive according to the level of service between 10 – 15% of the total price.
Maids and household helpers are tipped depending upon service and length of stay.
When calling overseas, please dial 00 and your country code. For Germany dial 0049, Austria 0043, Switzerland 0041, England 0044. The mobile phone network in South Africa is very good and phones function without problems. You will be charged a roaming fee. Ask your provider before leaving home.
In South Africa electric outlets run on 220 Volt. We supply you with adaptors at Olaf’s Guest House.
There are plenty of good doctors in the country. Of course, there are British / German doctors and dentists in Cape Town.
The European summer time is the same as in South Africa. During European winter month South Africa is one hour ahead of European standard time.
The infrastructure is very good in South Africa. Cars drive on the left hand side. An International Driver’s Licence is required by most car hire companies.
Check-in and check- out Conditions
- As our check in times are from 14:00 to 18:00. Check-out time is until 10.00
- Rooms that are not occupied by 18h00 will be a NO SHOW, and will be released for the system, unless prior arrangement has been made.
- Guest arriving after 20h00 and don’t have their own transport booked, please make use our shuttle service, the driver brings the guests all the way to their rooms that they have booked.
- We will then need your flight details and arrival time to book the shuttle.
- Airport transfers can be arranged at an additional cost of R300.00 for 1 person inclusive of VAT one way.
- Airport transfers can be arranged at an additional cost of R340.00 for 2 people inclusive of VAT one way.
- Airport transfers can be arranged at an additional cost of R400.00 for 3 people inclusive of VAT one way.
- Our office closes at 20:00 at the latest – unless prior arrangement has been made.
- You do not have to pay the driver this gets added to you room account.
- Late arrival with own transport are charged R250.00 for arrivals after 20.00 and before check-in 21h00 on check-in day.
- After 21h00 till midnight and beyond arrivals charged at R350 per check-in.
- This is for the staff to get home safely after hours as there are no buses or trains running at this time of the night.
- When coming without car or late at night please have the car delivered next morning to make life easier for both parties.
- The driver will have a board with your name on it at the exit of customs, please keep a lookout for him.\
- You do not have to pay the driver this will be added to you room invoice at the end of your stay.
- The driver has a code for the front gate of the house and knows where to find the room keys, he will take you all the way to your room on arrival at the Guest House.